Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Essay on English 111

www.ordinarycomics.com/november2007/november.htm
Wow, this year in my English 111 class I would have never thought that this class would have actually changed my life. The first impression I had when I seen Paul was, what a cool looking guy, this class will be easy to pass! Once he started talking I knew he was not the one to be messed with, in all honesty, I was a bit scared of him and the class. The way he spoke as he explained what he expects from us for the semester seen to be a lot. I remember him quoting, “if you think this class will be too much, you can drop it”, “I’m not a teacher that will give the easy way out”. When he said that, I realized this class was going to a chanellge. As class went on I constantly asked myself,” do I want to stay and in this class?” More and more Paul talked about what assignments that we must do and in order to complete the class you must do them all, the more I did want to drop his class. By the end of the first day I could see that this teacher will teach me a lot, I’d figured he will teach me how to improve my, writing, speaking, and my perspective on many things, and that it will give me that confidence I needed within myself. By the end of class I told myself I will accept the challenge and stay in this class. That was the best decision I ever made because in Paul class he taught me how to write better by incorpationg an audience and their needs. I also learned how incorporating the thesis statement is and how to actually write a good one. I learn new words every day because he’d used word I’d use words I had never heard before, but he always without students asking told us what it meant, and probably topped it off with say,” if you don’t know that that mean you should”. The day he went over a list of ways to write a well writing paper helped me. He wrote things like: use sense, taste, touch, see, hear, smell, to use logos, ethos, logos. One of the most important things I learned form he on that list was to make your paragraphs flow. I never understand how much that made a difference until Paul’s class. I remember watching the movie “Sicko” It was great; I never mate a teacher besides Paul who will talk about everything, even all the unspoken truth that the government of the media keep from us every day people. He spoke on things and didn’t hide anything. Each and every day I learned something new. He never held back on any of the words. I remember class mates including myself would ask, what we have to do for previews assignments, or when is the assignment due. His answer was always, “check your class calendar”, after a while I never had to ask those types of questions anymore. So by him always saying, “Check your class calendar”, it helped me be more independent and a student and as a women.
He taught us how and why you need a thesis statement. He also explained to always add the audience and their needs; this helps you understand the structure of what the paper will be about. I learned how imported these things can actually help you improve as a writer. Over all the class was fun! I recommend everyone to take Paul’s English 111 class if haven’t already done so.
P.S, you take English 111 with Paul, you never want to be vague, he will make you explain what you are talk about who it effects and why does it affect the person. Oh yeah, and no matter what just for the hake of it play “devil’s advocate”, even if you agree with a statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment